Tuesday, August 8, 2023

I like big butts and I can lie perfectly well thank-you.

It's a bit of a joke amongst my fans and romantic partners that I am constantly rebasing miniatures.  But it is actually quite a stressful thing for me, as I battle between a neurodivergent need to have my bases all consistent, and the realities of there not being a single perfect basing system.

So I am rebasing again, by the way... but for a good reason.  I keep damaging my minis.

The new mini style has 3mm thick bases, either with flat sides or a minimal bevel.  This allows me to pick them up by the base.  I have upsized my bases to protect any overhanging parts as best I can.

Previously I used Renedra 25mm bases, which are great and all, but as you see the minis aren't as stable or protected as with the 30mm ones.


I found the modern 32mm GW ones to be too thick and too slanted to pick up easily, so will be using MDF bases or the Impact Minis/EM4 30mm multibases, which are 3mm high.  Fortunately, Impact sell them by the THOUSAND.

Yes, you read that right.

Though I like the look and feel of the MDF, sanding the edges smooth is a must for my ADHD obsessiveness not to kick in.  And that means a LOT of dust and aching fingers.  So I have settled on a compromise of mixing MDF and plastics and trying my best to not freak out.



No comments:

Post a Comment