Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day of the Dave

Hey mortals,
Tomorrow is my birthday!  Yes, its the Day of the Dave.  Strangely, I have not asked for any miniatures as gifts this year because... well, take a look at the last post.  The last thing I need right now is more miniatures right now.  Oh, go on, maybe one more.  No!  Resist.  I don't need any more miniatures this year... especially taking into account the four.. wait... six stripping jars awaiting a gunky afternoon of Dettol fumes.  Stripping jars.  You start with one and next thing you know they are multiplying like rabbits.
Speaking of rabbits, I was awfully dissapointed to find out that I was not a Dragon as I had been previously lead to believe.  Yes, 1979 was the year of the Dragon... but unfortunately chinese new year falls after my birthday.  I am a child of chinese 1978.  Year of the... uh, rabbit.
In fact, my birthday is more cuspish than I thought according to one researcher.  I was equally horrified to find out that, according to my wife, I actually fall into Gen Y.
Gen Y?  Are you frikkin serious?  I watched reality bites, curtain haircuts, Nike Pumps and had to sit through Nirvana whinging about royal tea or some other depressed bollocks.  Gen Y?  Do I look GEN Y?  Look at my hair?  Not foompy!  I know how to navigate using a map and compass... look, see?  I dont live on Facebook!!!!  GEN Y?  NOOOOOOOOO.

Hell.

1979 is not a transitional year.  I say, the moment John Lennon was shot... that should be the moment the generations switch.
The only way to rectify this is with retro denial.  So here I present what was lurking in jar numbers... oh wait, jars 7 and 8.  How many of these things have I got?

Spot the cool 80's figures!
Yeah baby!  Now we are talking some seriously cool 1980s lead here.  Lets kick off with the first ever Chaos 'treacher' marine, the first ever Space Dwarf (aka Squat), The Dwarf With No Name, The Complete Adventurer (mark 2), Talisman Orc, AD&D Stirges and one of the two Female Space Marines.  Yes.  Space marines once had equal rights.  One of Bob Olleys space pirates also lurks above- a great line because they where the last gasp of 70's Starblazer style space opera- check that cloak.
You may also notice a Grenadier Hunting Dragon- which I grabbed because not only is it a nice figure, but it graced the Grenadier advert that used to run in GM magazine- which was the independant role playing magazine back in the 1980s.  You know... when big peroxide hair was in (isnt that right Wayne?  You know who I am talking about)  Jes Goodwin himself sported a pretty good and tall mullet back then, which appeared in a great deal of his work.  Check out the chaos sorcerers and the elf spear weilding wardancer in this pick.  Dungeon Punk at its best!
As you can see, I collect a wide range of figures.  My main motivation is getting those peices I always wanted as a kid.  Not sure what I will accomplish by this task.  One day I will open up a Jiffy bag from the UK and... game over... I will have them all.  What then?  I wonder what feeling will come with that.  Still, its a long way off.
I am waffling.  Heres a close up!

Iron Claw Space Pirate, 40k Navigator, Treacher Marine, Female Marine
Space Dwarf, Chaos Sorcerers, c100 Space Marine, Undead Carrion Rider, Dwarf with No Name
Grenadier Hunting Dragon

So thats this weeks stripping experience.  Sadly its into baggies and into storage for most of these, until one fine day when I have time to paint them up and blog them.

Hey, another window I have up whilst I type this tells me that I share the same birthday as Janis Joplin, Tippi Hedren (the chick from The Birds), Martin Luther King (no relation) and Edgar Allan Poe.  Star signs are right... we have so much in common.  Oh wait, I just noticed the actress who plays Peg on 'Married with Children' and Dolly Parton also have my birthday.  They actually are a lot like me when I wear heels.  Spooky.



Well folks, that is probably me for a few days... I expect to get nicely drunk tomorrow and achingly recover for a few more.  I have a theory that its not birthdays, but birthday celebrations that age one.  Maybe if I go hard tomorrow I will creep into Gen X where I belong.  Move over Winona... Daves on his way!

Later lead fans.

6 comments:

  1. September '78 - no Dragon here either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your zodiac is way off. January 1979 is the Horse. http://pages.infinit.net/garrick/chinese/ Not that I put any stock in astrology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday chum! Here's to hoping your drunken stupor costs you nothing more than a few ill-advised miniature purchases.

    Now you Gen-Y puke, get off your 90210-inspired designer-jeaned ass, stop playing your Nintendo 64 for one minute, and get out there and have some fun.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Dave you twonk, I was about to call you on your zodiac mixup. Unfortunatly our communist friend above beat me to it (damn you, Ivan!) and is indeed right. You're an Earth Horsey... how mundane. Then again, I'm a wooden bunny aparently (1975).

    Anyways - nice strippage! Hope you have a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wooden Bunnies of the World Unite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bit belated, on recently finding out, however happy birthday man. Enjoy your work and look forward to each updates.

    best,
    Tael.

    ReplyDelete