Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Kickstart my ass

I am toying with the idea of using kick starter to help me dedicate some time to my minis and games business.  I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon as the hobby is flooded as it is, but being pulled all over the place by work really inhibits my plans.

Here are the hovering projects I have.  If there is a kickstarter here holla in the comments:

*Dwerg series 2- artillery- modular troops and war machines.

*Skulldred core rules, toad minis, skully mini, portal minis, resin dread tokens, lasercut sticks and tokens.

*Dundred RPG:  old skool dndesque game with modern rules

*Dundred lairs:  Floorplans for 30mm bases, + card buildings ala 3rd ed.

*McNastybeastie: shakesperian scots minis.  Laird, lady, helldog, clansmen, spear girl

*Dungeon Noobs boxed set: rpg foolish minis on their first dungeon raid

*Stardred skirmish:  Skulldred with blasters!  80's style future minis action plus minis inspired by the era.  Space helmets, cricket pads and laserguns anyone?  Think eagle, future shock, starblazers, Druillet and Mobius.

*Missing bitz:  replacement proxy parts for classic minis such as early citadel giants and wheels for war machines.

*chaos halflings.  'Cause.

*Steampunkish/creepy cyber robotic spiderlegs and limbs to fit any minis.

*Amulet spell toads.  15mm versions.  28mm versions are awaiting production molds and webstore.

*restoring classic minis web book- kind of a heroes for wargames 2 style thing.

After these I was thinking of entering the resin kit market, getting stuff cast in europe and distributed from the UK, adding modular gaming thingies to augment my aussie made metals (I hate metal modular minis hence resin).
This would allow me to put into practice some of the ideas I have explored within my blogs.  I am, after all, a pro digital character sculptor and have all the same software and haptic hardware citadel use- no reason not to explore my own 80s scifi universe in an affordable modular way, right?

Kickstarters have worried me in the past because of my health- particularly my sudden chronic energy drops - it seemed random... however I am now diagnosed, am on the right diet and getting treatment, so thats not an issue anymore.  I am shiney and new and ready to go!

Anyway, I would love to hear you thoughts on Kickstarting Darkling games.  Its all about you folk after all!  Now back to Skulldred editing!

11 comments:

  1. Good to hear you've well and truly got your mojo back - hope the diet isn't too restrictive.

    Particularly close to my heart would be:

    *Dwerg series 2- artillery- modular troops and war machines.

    *Skulldred core rules, toad minis, skully mini, portal minis, resin dread tokens, lasercut sticks and tokens.

    *Dundred lairs: Floorplans for 30mm bases, + card buildings ala 3rd ed.

    *McNastybeastie: shakesperian scots minis. Laird, lady, helldog, clansmen, spear girl

    *Dungeon Noobs boxed set: rpg foolish minis on their first dungeon raid

    *chaos halflings. 'Cause.

    Don't know if you could theme that lot into one kickstarter? Another idea, bearing in mind I'm not well up on the ins and outs of financing this kind of thing, might be having the Skulldred core rules and/or the new Dwerg release as the main focus with the rest as stretch goals?

    Stardred would be great too but perhaps one to save for another time if you go down the fantasy route?

    Liking the sound of modular resin game thingies too.

    In fact it all sounds very tasty - but that's possibly not the most useful response for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're back up and running my good man. Now get to work! Here's what would appeal to me, in order.

    *Dwerg series 2- artillery- modular troops and war machines.

    *Dwerg series 2- artillery- modular troops and war machines.

    *Dwerg series 2- artillery- modular troops and war machines.

    *Skulldred core rules, toad minis, skully mini, portal minis, resin dread tokens, lasercut sticks and tokens.

    *chaos halflings. 'Cause.

    *Stardred skirmish: Skulldred with blasters! 80's style future minis action plus minis inspired by the era. Space helmets, cricket pads and laserguns anyone? Think eagle, future shock, starblazers, Druillet and Mobius.

    *Steampunkish/creepy cyber robotic spiderlegs and limbs to fit any minis.

    *restoring classic minis web book- kind of a heroes for wargames 2 style thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The two things that I would find the money to back all the way would be the Skulldred and Stardred rulesets.

    Second tier would be the Dundred rules and the McNastiebeastie sculpts. Though I would back these all the way too if they were far enough apart!

    I guess my preference is firmly with the rulesets...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting Skulldred out there via a Kickstarter could prove popular, if you can get the word out to a larger audience of gamers. And most or all of the fantasy stuff you mention could be fit into that. I would recommend sticking firmly with the fantasy theme, as that is where your company has the strongest profile so far, and save Stardredd and the odds and ends for the second round.

    Big yes to Skulldred Kickstarter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sticking to fantasy seems a smart idea. Hows this...

    Skulldred PDF
    Skulldred printed book
    Skulldred acrylic laser token and sticks (28mm and 15mm)
    Skulldred custom printed dice
    Skulldred spellcards
    Skulldred floorplans pdf
    Skulldred floorplans printed
    Skulldred boxed set (ala red box)

    Skulldred battlebox starter set- 2 factions with minis, spellcards

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would definately back a skulldred kickstarter, with the aim of getting a juicy printed book into my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the whole lot seems interesting... I rather like the proxy parts idea... so many old kits dotted about ebay and other such sites with the odd missing, head/arm/legs or as you point out wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Missing parts... There is no end of old metal with plastic arms minis from citadel/gw that could do with a correctly sized version since the size of arms over the years has changed. Orks in particular, but ones like the gene stealer hybrid arms that would be great to see, just to convert older models.
    The web book sounds good, even better if you built it with short videos in it of some of the processes shown. Easier to see it done than read about it being done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My vote would be firmly with a printed run of Skulldred in hardcover, perhaps with a kickstarter exclusive dwerg of some description. Since you are local, I would plead for reasonable shipping costs in Australia. This would be excellent exposure for the rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, all those pesky plastic arms- those would be good to have proxies for!

      Kickstarter exclusive minis is a great idea... my sexy bederkeness, baron dredskull and manners minions would be fun.

      Magic portal minis too.

      Skulldred poster a possible too...

      Studded laser printed action die?

      Gold plated limited edition mini?

      Delete
  10. McNastybeastie: shakesperian scots minis. Laird, lady, helldog, clansmen, spear girl

    This, please! I'm back at it again, sadly the lesser for having sold or traded away most of my Mcd collection!

    Any chance you want to trade me that boxed set back? ;)

    ReplyDelete