Sunday, March 5, 2017

Three geek girls you should know

Well dear reader, it's been a great weekend all up, which is something I haven't had in a while. And it's all to do with my wonderful friends.  I thought I would take a moment to talk about some of them who you may know of, but probably didn't realise they are part of my life.

Among many cool things to this weekend, I got a dedication in one of my best friends, Eva Sless, in her book "A Teenage Girls Guide to Getting Off"- an excellent sex ed guide that empowers young women to make safe, healthy and informed choices. I think this is the first time I have seen my name in a published book, and one I am proud to have contributed to.  Eva and I bonded over our mutual love of Labyrinth and Doctor Who- and we are those geek grrls who wander the streets drunkenly singing "Magic Dance" or "within you" at the top of our lungs.
 This is a pic for Gail Simone of us at Dee's Comic store in Canberra, grabbing the astounding and powerful love is love anthology.


Follow Eva's work @deliciouslybad.

Another of my friends is David Bowie impersonator and geek grrl Lauren Stardust- who is better known as the chick who started that whole filming your reaction to Starwars 8 trailer (sobbing at Starwars) and by the geek girl feminist hashtag #fuckedbyaunicorn.  I have never met anyone with a house so full of Sailor Moon and Transformers stuff!  She can also be found lurking behind the desk at Good Games in Melbourne.  This is us vlogging at Melbourne Midsumma Pride Festival. Seek her out at @laurenstardust and #fuckedbyaunicorn


Rae Johnston and I met through the video games industry.  You may know her as the queen of Wonder Woman cosplay, and the voice of video games and tech on JJJ radio, and Gizmodo, Kotaku and ABC radio.  Truth is, Rae is actually A Wonder Woman.
I am currently sculpting her Dungeons and Dragon's character for her.


Sadly she is based in Sydney, so we don't get to hang out much.  Generous with her time and always up for Magic and Tacos.


Check out her amazing stuff at https://raejohnston.com/

That's just three of the amazing geek girls in my life.  More later!


No comments:

Post a Comment