|Left. Vintage Chaos warrior. Right. Big Bertha.|
I love converting figures. I always start with the best intentions. Fix a weapon, add a little hood... but I always end up going a teensy bit over the top. I have some converted figures that it would have been just as quick to scratch build.
|Kev Adamsified red goblin|
I started by grinding off the shield boss to make space for a decorative shield. To give him a more stooped look I sliced off the head (easy with this old soft alloy) and pinned it further down the chest. Its amazing how this little change stops the models head looking too long. A hood was added to exaggerate the hunch.
I then filed back the fingers and toes slightly and added freshly mixed green stuff putty. After leaving it to set for a while I poked in the fingers with a dremmel blunted and rounded off xacto knife- my 'Tom Meier tool'. The blade was filled with milliput so later it can be filed to a flat, sharp blade. Finally I added the missing eyes and lip, some belt string and a strap for his shield. The whole job took about ten minutes of actual work, and turned a few cents of figure into a perfectly good dungeon critter!
|Converted citadel Fiend Factor Red Orc|
|Pre-Rogue Trader (Warhammer 40k 1st ed) C100 Space marines|
And the Dave King Hyperbole base.
So I fixed the damned things by making my own. Taking a regular base, I extended the depth down using plasticard and bevelled this to create a rounded lip just big enough for fingers to find purchase on and fingernails to roll under as you lift. I then sanded and polished the whole thing shiney smooth and hollowed out the base to create a deeper, wider bowl.
The deep dish allows for integral bases to sit inside, flush with the lip, deeper scenic features and cappers. Since I only had a few lipped bases, I decided to cast the cappers separately. That also means I can make a couple of cappers that have slots already cut, so all I have to do is just fill in the gap. Rather than cut out custom discs and sculpting the cap onto this, I widened the dish so it would accept Australian 10c coins. Whenever I feel like making a new cap, I just work on a 10c coin and know its going to fit. Nice.
The final change was to glue a 10c coin to the bottom of the master to act as a pouring spout. This means the lip of the base is perfect without having to grind flat. A quick adventure with Pinkysil and Easycast (Barnes casting supplies) and my first test base was ready a half hour later..
My pre-rogue trader c100 space marine team, (Kill Team Charlie) are my first victims. I am basing them up for corridor sci-fi skirmish gaming. I have a few more in the post, and some in the dettol at the moment, and have bravely decided to convert some of my doubles. I am toying with the idea of making a second team to go up against them using more of my old Rogue Trader, Judge Dredd and Paranoia minis. However I think these guys may need some retro alien scum to blast away instead.
Well thats me for today. Later lead heads!